Monday, October 25, 2010

Anyone Listening?

Living in Moscow for over a year and a half, we've gotten used to the idea that most people around us don't understand us.  We absolutely don't accept this as a universal rule and are pretty careful, but we're not as concerned as we probably would be in the States.

This past weekend Beth and I were meeting someone for lunch and sightseeing.  Because Liam was up most of the night before, we were running on very little sleep, and had no time to grab breakfast before the meeting.  So naturally we were more argumentative (honestly, I get upset when my anger is blamed on "being hungry" for being too simplistic.  But it's usually always true.  Am I that predictable??).  It all led to the silent treatment as we took the metro to meet our friend.

There we found a seat next to a pleasant-looking girl and waited.  It took a couple minutes, but we began talking.  We apologized to each other, but also explained what got us so irritated in the first place (I will always defy the fact that it's just mere hunger).  We were going on and on in a "This is what you said and this is how it made me feel" therapy session/venting for about 5 minutes or so until the girl beside us turns around and says "Excuse me, where are you from?"

She spoke English. 

For a split second Beth and I froze.  This girl, right beside us, speaks English.  And she probably heard everything we were talking about.

Fortunately for us, she acted like she didn't.  It turns out she (her name is Anna) is a Muscovite and visited Los Angeles and New York during the summer.  She studies English in the Moscow State University of Linguistics.  We had a good conversation and actually exchanged contact information. 

All I know is that now I'm cursed to be extra doting to Beth whenever Anna's around.

No comments:

Post a Comment