Thursday, April 29, 2010

Trip to Izhevsk!

Last week I decided to visit some great friends who live in Izhevsk, the capital of the Republic of Udmurtia here in Russia.  I had some free time Monday through Thursday, so I decided to hop a 17 hour train Monday afternoon, and arrived Tuesday morning.






After an eventful ride on the train (I happened to be sleeping by a rather inebriated man), I was met at the station by Ross Frierson and Ricky and Brandy Wilhelm (Ross's awesome wife, Dena, was at home working on a delicious lunch).  They pulled out all the stops.







The first evening of my stay we went out to learn some traditional Udmurt dances.  It was a blast!








Throughout the few days, they also took me to visit different monuments in the city.











We also visited the local zoo!








We also visited the Klashnikov museum (yes, THAT Klashnikov!)




I think the only downside of the entire trip was its brevity.  It all went by too quickly, but it was a great opportunity to visit awesome friends and see more of the vast expanse that is known as Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment