Thursday, April 2, 2009

Have a Fear of Flying?

Within the next few weeks, Beth and I will be making a 12+ hour flight from Atlanta to Frankfurt, Germany, and then from there to Moscow, Russia.  I don't really get nervous on flights, and neither does Beth.  But there are a lot of people who do.

If you're one of those people, I have some pretty relieving statistics on plane crashes, thanks to the How Stuff Works podcast:

  • You would need to fly on one airline flight every day for the next 35,000 years to be guaranteed to be in a plane crash.
  • From 1980 - 2000, out of 568 plane crashes, more than 90% of people on board survived
    • Of those there were 33 crashes in the air.  At that point, even 50% survived.

Hopefully this info will ease your phobia if you have it. 


I admit-- I still get a little nervous upon takeoff or landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment